Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Last Days at The Academy


So this post is once again delayed. I apologize. I will start with my last days at The Academy.

My contract was coming to an end and so my last week was filled with making sure my classroom and books were ready for the person who was going to take over my post and that I said proper goodbyes to my students and to the staff.

I was overwhelmed with the number of staff that came to my farewell party. It was great to see many of my colleagues that I learned so much from as my first year teaching all around one giant table. I felt extremely blessed for the relationships I created at the school. I will cherish their cards that they gave me and their life lessons they shared.

My students even caught me by surprise. The morning of my last day, they all told me to stay away from my class during lunch. I didn't know what this was all about but I was ensured by a colleague that everything would be okay. So I enjoyed my last lunch in the staff room. When I returned to my classroom, I was shocked. My students were hiding and surprised me when I opened the door. They had banners on the wall and lovely messages on the white board saying that they didn't want me to leave and that they were sorry for how they had treated me. Funny how when I am leaving, that's when they decide to be nice to me. Ah well, I suppose in many ways, that's teenagers for you. I just have to trust that I touched some of my students and helped to teach them some valuable life lessons (not just Maths).


While I was sad to leave my school that I became so familiar with, I am ready to start somewhere new, somewhere that will fit my dreams and inspirations, somewhere where I can be myself more and inspire students to want to learn. 

Farewell, TAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment