Thursday, August 29, 2013

Visit from Mom


Hey all

So I realize this post is once again late. But the way I see it is that it's better late than never. This blog was meant to highlight the significant moments in my life and well having my biggest supporter come and visit me in England was definitely one of the best things this year! Initially, I didn't really plan much to do with mom because I was most excited just to show her the people and places that have made my last year in England special and to show where I will be spending my second year. And so the morning she arrived, I grabbed my luggage, hopped on the train to Gatwick and waited with anticipation to give my mom the biggest hug ever.

Toronto... Finally Arrived!

Poor mom, she was exhausted after your plane journey and still  had 5 hours by train to go.
On the last train to Ashburton.. there was literally no room.
















We were on the way to Ashburton for my induction days at my new school. While I was working, getting information overload, meeting my new work colleagues and excited about the school, mom explored the village. She even was on a first name bases with some people of Ashburton. I suppose I'll have the chance to explore the village once I move here in September. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of our time in Ashburton, but let me tell you... it was busy, it was hot, and it was just good! The food at all of the pubs, cafes and bars we ate it was delicious!

Next stop... Liskeard. Before leaving the west country, I decided it was important for mom to see where I spent last Christmas and to meet the family who has adopted me as part of theirs. Malcolm and Gina are incredible people and I feel truly blessed to have shared with them.

Off to Manchester to visit Uncle George and Auntie Barbara...
They took us to Lyme Park one day and we had the chance to explore the gardens, the home and I even was able to dress up in a Georgian dress. I was totally in my element :).

 The view was remarkable up on the hillside. We were looking at the direction of their home.
I love this picture of Uncle George and Auntie Barbara.

Time for a bit of a rest before we explored the house.

Dress up time :)


It was really great to spend some time with my dad's Auntie and Uncle... going to church with them, looking at old photos, sharing stories and appreciating each others company. It was hard to say goodbye when we had to get back on a train to Chichester. Who knows when and if we will meet again. If not on this earth, we will meet where the angel choir sings in heaven, where our minds are too small to comprehend right now just how majestic that shall be.

After a week and a half of mom being in England, we finally made it to Chichester where I spend the majority of last year. She met my beloved host family - Ruth, Ant, Ben and Joe and learned just why I loved them so much. From Chichester we were able to do a few day trips... Selsey Coast, Arundel Castle and Weild and Downing Open Air Museum.

At the sea by Selsey, where I taught.

Jousting at the Arundel Castle.


After our day at Arundel Castle, we came back to Chichester and enjoyed a meal at my favourite restaurant with two of my favourite people, Natalie and Greg... This may sound cheesy and all, but it's true... words just can't express how much these friends have met to me during this last year. I am so grateful for everything they've done and I'm so glad that I will be moving close to where they're also moving to. Seems like they can't quite get rid of me :)


Feeding the ducks at the Weild and Downing Open Air Museum.

The next day, we went to an open air museum with the family. Mom and I loved seeing houses from different eras and learning about the culture of the people during those times. The boys loved to explore. And I loved showing the boys how to roll down a hill. It was really a great outing for everyone.






Fourth stop.... Prestatyn, North Wales. Last minute we booked train tickets to North Wales to visit one of dad's long lost cousins, Mal. We had a great time with them, sharing some mysteries of the family, exploring the country side, visiting Snowdonia, paying our respects at the Marble church and enjoying a meal with Andy and Liz.
Mal, Mom, and Me with the Irish Sea in the background.

In Betws y Coed, Wales

Smile everyone :)
After our weekend visit to North Wales, we hopped back on the train to Chichester for a last few days at home before mom headed back to Canada.

In mom's tradition, we prepared a meal for Natalie and Greg and co as they were moving from Chichester area back to Cornwall. Mom made homemade Mac and Cheese and I prepared some wraps. I loved cooking in the kitchen with mom after a year! I only wish I could cook as well as she can...maybe someday with some practice :)

On the 1st of August, we went to Goodwood Racecourse for my first ever horse race and Ladies' Day, where everyone dresses to the nines. We met ups with some women from my first school, Hannah and Kate, and made several toasts to a great year and to those who were no longer with us... including my dad. What a better way to celebrate dad than to be in England with mom. Only wished Michael could have joined us... maybe another time.


 Our lovely outfits just as we were heading out the door. Unfortunately we didn't take any photos of us during the day, but you can just imagine how much fun we had with our fascinators, friends, horses and yumilious food. What a way to end mom's time in England, with a bang!
Our nearly three weeks together came to an end. I was so glad we did all that we did... that she was able to see some of the places I've traveled to, some of the people that influenced me and that we were able to experience life together... with all the tears and laughter that comes. I do miss mom so much, but am grateful for the time we had together and that she's only a skype call away. For those of you who are looking at going away for a few weeks... why not come and visit England. I would love to show you around as well ;)

Peace,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment