Saturday, October 4, 2014

Third year... God, England, school, church... life.

Hi all!

I haven't forgotten you, I promise. It's just that I didn't know how to add new posts for forever since google has changed some things. But thanks to my friends back in Canada, I've got it under control... I suppose that's debatable, but hopefully I'll be able to post to my blog more regularly again. I haven't written here in over a year so I could approach this blog as a massive catch up, but I'm afraid you may find that becomes a novel. For the interest of my readers, I'll stick with just writing about this school year thus far.

I love teaching! There's something so exhilarating about returning to teach at the same school and teaching students that are curious learners. Now don't get me wrong, I do have some classes of students that I struggle to help motivate, but the majority of students I teach this year are eager. I think it helps that I'm now a familiar face at the school and they all know me as the 'Canadian teacher,' even students that I don't teach.

I have one particular class of students that just love a good open-ended question. In the first week, I gave them a lesson all around the news that Nutella may experience a shortage because of a recent drought in Turkey, where most of the world's supply of hazelnuts come from....Maths, food, global, social links.... they loved it! Then just last week, we made marble runs and tested speed. The goal was to make a run where the marbles moved the slowest. The students thought it was the greatest lesson since sliced bread. We even incorporated peer assessment and self assessment into the lesson! :)

In another class, we were talking about Mathematical proves and I started the lesson by asking them "What is a proof?" and "What makes a good one?". After two minutes of silent thinking time (a good teaching practice :D), one boy spoke up and said, "Is it like believing in God and trying to prove that he exists?" I simply responded with a ... "Why, yes, I suppose it's similar... it's about showing that something is true." He then asked me if I was religious. For a split second I thought about the question and how I would respond... "Yes I am." If I were not in front of a class of 35 students, I would have explained that while I go to church, I'm not religious, but rather spiritual, striving to work on my relationship with God and leading others to Him. Unfortunately, it was just the start of the lesson and others were anxious to continue learning how to prove that the angles in a triangle always equal 180 degrees, and in a quadrilateral 360 degrees... not nearly as deep, yet it was an easy opportunity for me to share a bit about my faith and to allow these students to ask further questions if they were interested. God does work in mysterious ways!

At my school, I'm also working at partnering my school with Free The Children UK. When I was doing my teacher training in Canada, I was part of the ME to WE club at my school, learning lots about social issues in Canada and around the world. In July as I was thinking about what I wanted to help with for the next year of teaching in Devon, I thought about Free the Children Canada, and wondered if there was a UK link. I then forgot about it when I was home. Then on the plane back to England, I was chatting with my seat buddy and learned that she works for a charity helping to educate children around the world... Free the Children? Yes, in fact. She was a Brit who was working in the Toronto office for 2 years and decided to move back to London to help set up the Free The Children/ We Day in London. How cool was that?!?! So well I have more responsibility this year at my school as a classroom tutor to 28 students, teaching 7 classes of Years 7-10 students, a sixth form class, and working on a project promoting an environmentally friendly economical building at my school with some high performing students, I'm going to encourage students to think beyond themselves and their village and to motivate others to take a stand for an action in which they are passionate about. I'm so excited for all of these opportunities, yet will appreciate prayer as I settle into these responsibilities and learn when I need rest to pray, re-energize and take time for Kristen.

As far as at church, I have recently felt that I need to stop living as though this is a temporary home  and start feeling more settled. Over the last two years, while I have made some significant friendships, I have been careful to not get too involved in people's lives as I always thought I was going to go back to Canada... now don't get me wrong, I may very well do that someday... but I just needed to feel more settled and part of a community and church family here and now. Living for the future takes up so much energy sometimes. In Matthew 6:34 it says “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Saying all of that, I've finally decided to serve at church as a youth leader for 14 to 18 year-olds. Every Friday evening 5 other leaders and myself meet to pray as we welcome around 30 Christian and non-Christian city kids to the church hall to hang out. Some weeks we have things planned, other weeks we just allow the kids to chat, play games, kick a football around, and drink hot cocoa. I was hesitant to get involved, knowing that this is the age of young people I see at school everyday. Yet this is a different setting. This is an opportunity for me to show my funny, game-loving, quirky side without having to discipline this age group for not bringing in Home Learning or for being rowdy in lessons. It's been a great opportunity to be a witness to these young people and it's such a blessing to see God at work. Some Friday's it's the very last thing I want to do after a crazy week at school and so I go feeling exhausted and almost dreading having 3 hours left before I can relax, but then the youth start coming in and I feel completely energized and ready to hang out. Thanks to God for those new found energy moments! 

I think that's about it for now. If any of you teacher friends want any of the resources I mentioned above, just let me know and I can pass them to your direction. Otherwise, please do comment, send me a facebook message, or email sometime! I would love to hear what's new with you! 

Peace and Grace,

Kristen


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for your friends from Canada - it's great to hear about how things are going. You almost made me start missing a classroom. It sounds like you have had an awesome start to the school year. I'm in the same boat with a million things on my plate (work, church, small group, ladies class, tv night, tutoring twice a week, me time) - make sure you don't burn yourself out.
    p.s. - i'm going to be in Amsterdam in just over 2 weeks!!!! I will think of you while I'm closer to you.

    ReplyDelete