Friday, June 12, 2015

A part of the Fruit of the Spirit

A part of the fruit of the spirit...
Self control

I have lied, cheated, kicked, and gossiped
I have filled my mind with rubbish by what I see on tele, the Internet, or listen to on the radio, I watch Netflix without stop...
I have thought negatively about others and have talked behind people's backs
I lose my temper, eat too many cakes and can never stick to an exercise routine
I fill my life with busyness and rarely take time out...
How can I give a talk about self control when I am so poor at always controlling my thoughts and actions?

Just this week, my boss told me my opinions don't matter. I was furious. She said this in front of my colleagues. Remember... I have a temper, I can be quite sensitive, and I don't always take well to harsh words... That instance I had two choices... 1) I could have said what was going through my head... "At least my opinions are taking my students into account.." OR 2) bite my tongue as she continued to speak harshly to me and just brush off what she said. I did choose the second option... I ignored her and in fact laughed with her as a way to brush it off. There are times it's important to stand up for what we believe is right, but in this situation, it didn't bother me too much and in honesty, I didn't want to take the time to collect my thoughts and approach her... She is my boss, someone I need to respect. So here self control was doing a physical thing to stop me from saying something that I could have regretted later... in these situations, I try to take a deep breath....

I don't know about you but I often fill my time with stuff... I'm always doing something,, visiting friends, shopping, working, cooking, going from one event to another... I just don't want to miss out. But recently I've become a little irritable with my students and those closest to me.... My mom and my fella, Jonathan...  I'm learning that the occasional evening off is sometimes just what I need... I think part of having self control also means having time for Me where I just stop...    And take control of my well being..      Perhaps put on a relaxing, uplifting go-to film... "The sound of music" anyone? Or read a novel (Anne of Green Gables). Or spend some time reading my Bible and meditating...
Here is a bible passages which I find helpful... Jesus said...

 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11...

So when I'm irritable, frustrated, lost my energy... This verse reminds me to talk to God..

This might sound ironic... But here goes, self control doesn't mean you have to take control of your life on your own.... God has offered to help you.... And me.... He's so big that he can take on any of our issues... Those things in our life we want to stop... Lying, cheating, gossiping, filling my mind with rubbish. And those things we want to start doing.. Exercise, meditation, and  giving encouragement to others... He just wants us to ask him. But thank God that he loves me even when I'm imperfect!  I have learned to have self control I need to feed my heart with things that at are good...

"Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honourable, and right and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8.

My challenge to you... What part of yourself... Your life do you want to manage differently? What part of your life do you want to have more discipline over?

So you see....  I don't always have self control... But I've learned a few helpful techniques.. Taking a deep breath, counting to 10, saying no to some activities, and praying to God.... And I do pray that you will be able to learn to practice self control and to always seek and trust God.

God bless you on your journey.

3 comments:

  1. This m talk on self control to the youth group I help out with... You cold hear a pin drop... An overwhelming response... Tell me what you. Anyone out there have a technique to stop eating too many cakes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, this is excellent....honest, vulnerable and transparent! Teens (and people in general) respect that and its impact is poignant!
    Thank you for sharing this here and thank you for being the honest young woman you are!
    As far as eating too many cakes...well I am seeking the answer to that too ;-)
    I love you!
    Mom ( <3 )

    ReplyDelete