Wednesday, April 10, 2013

January - Inspection at the school

Hi all,

Once again, it has been far too long since I've updated my blog. I am so sorry friends and family. I have lots to cover since I last wrote - Ofsted, Cardiff, Olivia, Easter break in the Lake District and hiking in Wales. I suppose I should start again where I left off... so if you have nothing better to do... enjoy!

OFSTED...
The new term at school started with lots to do and to think about as everyone was anxious for the dreaded call of OFSTED. This is a government inspection agency in the UK who ensures all schools meet high standards. To explain just how anxious the staff at The Academy, Selsey felt, I should mention that the last time the school was inspected they received the lowest outcome - an inadequate school with special measures needed. Hence, a new headteacher came in to make significant changes. So the management team and the teachers have worked so hard to help the students and the school progress. We knew to expect OFSTED after Christmas, but we didn't expect them so soon. In the middle of February, they phoned one afternoon and told us they were visiting the next two days. The afternoon that they phoned the headteacher gave us encouragement about how hard we have worked and that we were ready to face the inspection. After her speech, I clapped and was cheering on everyone. Instead of others joining in, as I had hoped, everyone just looked at me and laughed. While they were mocking me, I know they were disguising their appreciation for my motivational cheer. And so we were on...
The school was abuzz. The students and parents were informed and the teacher were catching up on any marking and preparing and writing formal lesson plans, while trying to remain calm. Let's just say that those nights were late nights at work with lots to keep me busy. My lesson plans were printed and I was ready to show any observer my lessons.
First lesson... working with Jim - observed. I wasn't observed, Jim was. I'm so glad I witnessed that and sort of knew the right things to say if/when they came into my classroom.
Second lesson... year 7s, they behaved okay (well for the most part), my lesson was opened and ready - not observed.
Breaktime... my duty in the Hall, I was smiling at all my students and doing my bet to ensure all of their uniforms were immaculate.
Lesson three... year 9s, I started out prepared, but my students were challenging me and were making it difficult for me to teach, especially if I were to be observed. Fortunately, I was again not observed. The rest of the day and of the inspection I waited in anticipation to be observed.
The last chance lesson to be observed... my lesson was going well, I was prepared to be observed... I was watching the clock... only half a lesson left will they come now? 15 minutes left, nothing... the lesson had finished. I was not observed and left so let down. I worked so hard and no one could see that.
My initial disappointment didn't last very long. That afternoon, we had our debriefing from the head, hoping we would learn of our results. Unfortunately, the head couldn't tell us anything. The following day, the head spilled the beans and told us that the inspectors were probably going to give us an inadequate. Expectantly, she was quite disappointed. some of my friends were observed and received inadequates. They were absolutely devastated, especially since their inadequates were due to their students' poor attitudes and constant messing about. I was relieved that our Osted result was not because of me. The headache of Ofsted was over for that week. But starting the next week, we had to implement new strategies and practices that came from conversations with Ofsted. So the pressures of Obsted continues. I only wish teaching to help students was the focus here. Unfortunately, it seems as though we're too focused on looking good to the government and end up forgetting about why anyone should become a teacher... to help students grow and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment