Thursday, April 11, 2013

To Cardiff

I'll keep this one short and simple... or at least try to.

To set the scene, it was February half term and as is typical for teachers, I started my break with a sore throat... believe it or not, I even lost my voice. Regardless of my illness, I decided to go away for a few days. I asked a Canadian friend, whom I met on induction day way back on the first day I was in England, if she wanted to travel together. She agreed. We met in London and headed to Cardiff Wales for 2 nights. Our first stop was to find our hotel, the Big Sleep Inn. Oh my goodness, that was quite the place... retro. I mean our room had fur baby blue curtains. After calming down from our initial reaction, we went to explore the town. We went on a walk through Sophia Gardens, had a drink at an exotic cocktail bar, and had a pint of Guiness and a steak and Guiness pie at an Irish pub.



The next day, we took a tour bus around the sites. We saw the Cardiff Canal, the Dr. Who museum, and an old Church. We went on a small boat ride through the canal (though it was freezing cold), had a hot chocolate and a cake at the Rouge Cafe, explored the Cardiff Castle and crashed back at the hotel before going out for the night. Later, we went to a Spanish Tapas restaurant, and then to a Karaoke bar for a drink. At this point, I was absolutely voiceless and exhausted, but did have fun people watching.





Unfortunately, I went to the hospital in Cardiff the next morning because I was terribly sick and wanted to know what was wrong. They told me it was a serious viral infection and so we left Cardiff earlier than planned so I could start to rest. But let me tell you, that train ride back to Chichester was already long... line 5 hours, but it felt 10 times longer when I was not well enough to even drink water. I was so poorly, that I stayed home from work for a whole week. I've never missed work for more than a day before, but I just couldn't even stand comfortably. I was very grateful for Skype during that week, because I was able to Skype mom nearly 3 times a day everyday. Finally after like 5 weeks of not feeling 100%, I am now feeling like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment