Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Lake District

Dear Family and Friends,

My trip to the Lake District in England was phenomenal! Words or pictures don't really do it justice! I would love to tell you every detail, but to save you from fading, I'll try to give you just my most memorable moments.

Day 1: Arrived to the Patterdale Youth Hostel
I arrived in the afternoon so just went for a small walk to acquaint myself with my surroundings. 
At the hostel, I met some teachers to chat with and share adventure ideas with. They even sat and played Dutch Blitz with me.... and they loved it!

I love that at hostels, many of us are on similar boats and are opened to strike up conversations about everything and anything. At this hostel there were people from all different backgrounds and ages - there were families, young adults, people up in their years, experienced hikers, and beginners. It was great to share stories and pictures of our different adventures and walks. It was also nice to sit quietly, read and appreciate your surroundings.


Day 2: Ullzwater Steamer and Hike up the Fells

I woke up to an amazing view of the mountains just outside our room. I was getting anxious to get ready for my day of walking, exploring, and appreciating God's magnifiscent creation. When I pulled back my covers, I was hit with a cold breeze, but this didn't stop my excitement. I quickly bundled up and went to eat my warm breakfast. I was sitting next to a window with a glorious view of the mountains and the forests. Snow is falling ever so lightly. I think I am ready...



I began my day walking 1 mile to Glennridding to catch the Ullzwater Steamer to Howtown. At this point, I still was uncertain where I was going to walk and if I was going going to walk on my own or make some new friends to follow. On the boat there was a lovely couple whom I decided to strike up conversation with and they invited me to follow them on their trek up the hills to Pulley Bridge. At one point we got lost through a farmers field and were walking among the sheep. It was very tiring on the legs, but as soon as I turned to face the lake, all my aches were swiped away. The view was outstanding! Unfortunately, my pictures do not do it justice! After 2 hours and 6 miles up hills and through pastures and mud, we arrived to Pully Bridge. We found a quaint little cafe where we indulged in some soup, a baguette and cake. We took the boat back to our starting point and I arrived back at the hostel to meet some more travelers and share stories.


Day 3: Walk to Aira Force and Delightful Encounters

This morning I woke up to the same gorgeous view that will never cease to amaze me and remind me of God's love. I began my walk towards Aira Force, a beautiful waterfall I was told about. I walked through the forest with the lake and the mountains to my right. It was unbelievable.

After 2 hours, I arrived to the Aira Force park and I began to ascend. At first, I was a little let down, where was this water, where were the falls? After I removed my expectations and let my surroundings overtake me, I was in awe. I was still not at the view that everyone was talking of, so I asked a young man to give me directions.... they led me right where the beautiful sights were. I enjoyed my packed lunch at a perfectly serene spot next to the falls. After exploring some more, I began my journey back to the hostel. You wouldn't believe who I bumped into... this same gentleman who gave me directions. What excitement. We talked for some time and shared stories and pictures of our day out at the falls. It's strange the people you bump into :).


This trip was outstanding! I learned so much about myself... that I strive to have alone time, soaking up God's marvelous creation and yet I am okay with striking up conversations, meeting new people, and sharing stories!

If any of you are thinking about traveling to England... the Lake District is a must see. And I would be more than happy to be your traveling partner!

Wishing you all many blessings,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment