Saturday, May 9, 2009

From Nahamba Mission to the Farm

Today, I learned about the extremes living conditions. Bishop and his family live in a very nice house with a TV and running water. This is very different than the family who lives on the farm that Bishop oversees. The live in huts. They have 3 sleeping huts and a kitchen hut. They have 3 young children and 2 babies, 3 men and 2 women. For the young children I was the first white girl they saw and so they were a litte shy at first. Then after I played with them, they began to really like me. I took pictures and they really liked to see them on the screen. It was really touching when the oldest young girl took my hand and just stopped and looked at our clasped hands, what a contrast.

Also, today I met the headmaster at the Nahamba Mission Basic school who told me I will be teaching grade 8 math. Starting on Monday he will introduce me to the teachers and to the students and I will watch the teacher for the first week. The following week, when he is on leave, I will take over the class. I can't stop but laughing and smiling at myself. I'm actually going to teach!

Tomorrow is my first church service. Looking forward to what Ashley (another salter) told me will be 4 hours.

Blessings,
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Kristen - learning about contrast, learning about crossing cultural boundaries, learning to teach :), learning to worship for a really long time (not as long as your ride to Choma though lol)!! Sounds like you are adapting! I can't wait for pictures!! I am so glad you are doing well!! Love ya lots and miss you! Mom

    ReplyDelete